Can I Withdraw My Guilty Plea?

You have been arrested, gone to court, but instead of taking your case to trial, you have decided to plead guilty.  People do this for a number of reasons, some good and some bad.  Maybe the District Attorney offered you probation and you didn't want to go to jail.  Maybe you didn't think you could win your case, or maybe you got bad advice from your lawyer.

Now you are having second thoughts.  You don't want to plead guilty, you want your day in court.  What can you do?  The answer is, it depends.

If you have plead guilty and been sentenced, it is almost impossible to withdraw your plea.  Absent so kind of evidence that your were forced into a plea or had no idea what you were doing, most courts and judges will not let you out of the guilty plea.

On the other hand, if you have not yet been sentenced, courts are more lenient.  Often times as long as you properly notify the court prior to sentencing that you wish to withdraw your plea and go to trial, it will be allowed.  However, recent rulings have made this more difficult in Pennsylvania.

It is important to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer who can guide you in the process and make sure you make the right decisions about your case.  Adult criminal convictions remain on your record forever.  Don't plead guilty and give up your right to trial before you have called the attorneys at Scarpello & LaTour.  We have over 20 years of experience and we offer a free consultation about your case.  Contact us today.